Sunday, August 27, 2017

THE LIFE OF AN ACTOR 


One never knows when they book a gig what will come of it, if anything. Sometimes the best thing about a project is its walkaway lunch. Well last October 14, 2016, I spent a day on the set of THE ONLY LIVING BOY IN NEW YORKand had one of the highlights of my life in the acting world. Well last weekend the film came out and I decided to see if the experience I had on set, translated to what I witnessed on the silver screen. So I spent my $15, sat down to watch and surprisingly enjoyed myself much more than I expected to. Honestly the story for me took a while to warm up to, and for a few minutes about half way though I was about ready to simply twiddle my thumbs until my big cameo. That is if my star-making turn ever made it to the final cut. Happily by the end the flick I discovered it to be actually better than I hoped it would be. So my suggestion is to see it. The acting is quite good, and the plot twists keep you on your toes till all is revealed.

As for why the experience of working on this movie is something I'll never forget. Even before I got there the day of the filming, one highlight of the day was as I was leaving my apartment, one of my neighbors stopped me to let me know they had seen be on an episode of 'Bull' that aired that week. It was one of those moments, I always wondered what it felt like, if it happened to me. Watching her excitement was almost the same high I felt while doing the gig itself. So I had this great buzz leaving for the gig. When I arrived at the gigs location, the Argosy Bookstore in NYC, I discovered over one hundred other extras awaiting direction. The scene we were shooting was an author doing a reading at a book store. Happily for me, the noted author in the film turned out to be one of my idols, the great Jeff Bridges. So as they were setting the scene up and placing people, initially I was placed near the rear. Thought this might be  one of those nights to forget. But after a few minutes, as usual in the wonderful life in the arts, what you might think is gonna happen, suddenly changes and anything that could happen does. So just as it looked like they were about to begin shooting, I was told to get up, and go over to the chair opposite of where Jeff Bridges was gonna be sitting. At the time I didn't know this. But as I sat in my chair looking around I saw the star talking with our director as they starting walking toward his mark. 

So it turned out I was now featured background, and my role was to be the moderator of the book reading. What made the moderator role so cool was, once Jeff Bridges arrived he immediately introduced himself  to me. As we were shaking hands, in my mind I pondered never washing that hand again. Seriously being inches away and getting the chance to watch a master at his craft, so totally at ease in front of so many people was a lesson I will not soon forget. The man oozed movie star charm. But what blew my mind was that on every take Jeff Bridges started with an improv and the camera rolled as the scene began. He would go into a story or an anecdote, or just hummed a song. But on several he began with " I'd like to thanks Neil, for inviting me to this book reading…" to say I was little on cloud 9 would be an understatement. We spent many a take of him reading passages of the book, getting a chance to watch an actor play, seriously I was pinching myself. So I left that days film shoot pretty much a happy camper. But like with every other film project, one never knows what the final product will be. How they will edit it together or what clip they will decide to use.  

It turns out, the entire film is really Jeff Bridges reading excerpts from his book. This is not apparent to the end scene itself. Now about my cameo. All the scenes are narrated by the author and instead of having him read the book itself in this sequence, you see whats happening during it. Now about my cameo. Yes, I made the final cut. I am actually on the last frame of the film, right before it goes black and the credits roll. If you don't blink you might see me. There are 5 or 6 quick shots in this end sequence, showcasing various characters from the film at the book reading and of course the audience. 

The last of the shots, is the one I am in. Now, this shot as opposed to the others in this sequence is an exterior shot looking into the window of the bookstore, via a crane shot of the book reading. You see Jeff Bridges on the left, the audience in the background, and yours truly on the right. For a brief second or two or three, there I was on the silver screen, and I smiled and then the screen went black. I will say, It is nicely framed, but what isn't seen, is all the work that the great actor did. All the work of the directer, his assistant and crew did to set up those 10 or 15 seconds of screen time. And the excitement all of us felt as Jeff Bridges gave everyone a lesson in improv. 

Note, the sequence was shot pretty much at the beginning of the shoot, and since I was featured, I was told I couldn't be seen again, according to the casting people. The bummer in all this was, the film shot for months in New York, but because I was seen, me being cast in this again never occurred. I had hoped since I was now the moderator of the book reading, that could mean they might want me back for another scene shot in the bookstore. Sadly even though there are several, that notion, didn't cross any one's else's mind.

So it goes to show, in the crazy game called acting, one never knows what your next adventure will be, and what will come of it. A few days ago, I was booked to work on 50 CENTRAL, a new sketch comedy series, produced by 50 CENT. The series premieres on BET in September. The sketch I worked on is entitled BIGOTAL, and its an hysterical look at bigotry that made me laugh out loud while reading the script. I spent the day downtown, in a loft near Canal Street on a roof as we relaxed waiting for our shots. Way cool. It felt like we were shooting in Hollywood as opposed to New York City. Well, at one point there were six of us sitting at a table being set up for our moment to shine and  all of us were asked to say lines, which none of us were expecting  Whoop whoop. So if it makes the cut, yours truly might have something new to add to his reel. I'll let you know when the episode airs. Believe me it'll worth watching just for the comedy.

And on Saturday I worked on an independent film, entitled BLACK MAN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN. The film is being directed by the screenwriter of the project, Chris Long. In the movie I play the lead's doctor, and we shot the scene in the doctor office that my character was actually based on. When I auditioned for the film a few months back, as I walked in and we small talked, Chris started to laugh and then he explained that I was pretty much a dead ringer for the person the character was based on. And a few days later I found out I got the part. Without giving too much away, the scene I'm in, the lead is getting a check up and I'm his doctor, and I get to ask him lots of questions. They shot it as a POV, so basically I'm on camera the entire length of the sequence. 

Before we shot, I had a few minutes to discuss with the director who happily also was its screenwriter, the many questions I had which would color how I would be playing the scene. The first of my many questions and for me the most important one was, was I working alone with just the cameraman or was I gonna be working off of another actor? Working off of his reactions to the questions I was asking him? It turned out I was working with just the camera man. My preference was another actor, so I could react to his reactions, but I had a feeling this was gonna be the way they shot it. So after all my other questions were answered, luckily most of the answers I was given I had thought of ahead of time and had rehearsed the many versions I could come up with while preparing the role for the film. So it took me just a few moments to get ready and we blocked the scene and began shooting it. After a few run-throughs, we shot the scene a few times, made a few adjustments, tried a few variables and got what the director wanted. He seemed very happy with what I gave him, my job was done, and I left hoping that his finished project would turn out be much more then just a blip in my career. But as they say, as one finishes an acting gig… next. That is if the next opportunity ever happens

Until next time,

Neil

 


No comments: