Sunday, August 06, 2017

SELLING YOUR ILLUSTRATION: BUSINESS CARDS AND SELF PROMOTION
How do you get people to notice your talents? How do you get them interested enough for them to perhaps contact you for possible assignments?


How and where can I showcase my art, so people will discover my talents, want to see more and get them to say hi, I want to hire you or better yet, lets talk a deal.  


Over the years I've had several different cards, trying to get the word out. Showcased here are some of the samples I've used. Of note, notice the address and phone numbers, are different and varied. I've moved on several occasions.  


Which in the good old 1990's was a bad thing… no internet, new address and/or phone number, possibly say good bye to all your previous promotional work. But luckily with the internet these days, that hiccup for the most part has been rectified.  


All that said, deciding what your promotional item looks like, its design, size and most importantly what illustrations, how many, you decide represents you best and will hopefully get others interested and excited enough to pick up that phone or email you. 


As showcased here you will find an assortment of my attempts at breaking through the clutter that arrives on art directors and editors in boxes. Some were printed professionally, some were just printed from a color printer at work, some where printed in illustration promotional books and annuals.


For example the first illustration showcased to start this showcase of samples, was a portrait of my father, entitled 'Dad' a personal favorite of mine, and one I thought best represented my style and the type of jobs I was hoping to get at the time.  


Another example the second and third examples, showcased above, these were two my promotional pages, which was printed in RSVP in the 1990's. This time, as opposed to the singular business card with my father, I decided to showcase multiple illustrations. 


You tell me which is better? My preference is for the singular, just because of the size of the art showcased.The fun thing is, when you look back at all the work you've accomplished over the years. Perspective on ones career, work, life, changes as you change. 


Also when promoting yourself, sometimes its fun to showcase a series or an assortment of illustrations that one has done. Like the samples above and below this comment. The above was to showcase series of portraits I've done in prismacolor pencils, below were several of the printed covers of Personality Comics I illustrated in the 1990's.


Best part of having your work in an annual promotional book like American Showcase, showcased right below, you get to see your work printed by great printers and some of your favorite pieces that haven't seen print do.  



The next sample below, was my second published sample, but my third printed business card. It was published in RSVP. I painted the illustration entitled 'Looking Out' after I graduated SVA, The School of Visual Arts. I had sketched out the idea in my senior portfolio class, and talked it over with my instructor Mark Hess.  

After I graduated, I decided to turn my sketch into a finished portfolio sample. Happily it turned out great, and best of all, the art was accepted into The Society of Illustrators, best of art exhibition. Sadly when the annual book of the exhibition came out, the painting was printed in black and white in the published annual … I know, I was not pleased.  



Above you will find the first business card I ever had printed for myself. Showcasing two of my portfolio pieces that I had illustrated for classes during my time at SVA. Both assignments were done in oil on canvas. 


Lastly you will find my first published work as well as the first illustration I ever did, when I said to myself that I actually had some ability with oil paint. The assignment was to paint a face with more than five colors. How the promotional mailer came to be was, as a senior at SVA, they have an annual entitled Portfolio. All the seniors dropped off their portfolios and waited to discover who was deemed worthy and the best of the graduating class that year. Well, luckily after a few days of confusion and misunderstanding I discovered that I had lucked out. Seems four years at art school had taught me something.

Until Next Time,
Neil

No comments: