Sunday, April 24, 2016

THIRD TIMES THE CHARM
Or sometimes capturing someones likeness, isn't as easy as just putting pencil to paper


Michael Weatherly, Art © Neil Feigeles,  April 24, 2016
Recently as mentioned in this blog, I had the fun job of being a Sketch artist in a Court Room scene shot for the new Michael Weatherly television series Bull, well actually the pilot, the series hasn't been picked up… yet.
Its always fun when you get to a set, sometimes not knowing which actors you will be working with, or at least who you will be able to watch work. Learn from the people doing  what I'm striving to do. In the case of Bull, I honestly didn't know that the actor from such series as Dark Angel and of course NCIS was even involved. That is until I walked on set.  And saw him standing there and I went, yes! Talk about a pleasant surprise. 
So much fun getting the chance to just sit back and do what I like best, just sketch away, watching as what I see, is interpreted by my talents and transformed into works of art. If not in my eyes, at least in others. And when you are sketching, trying to capture likenesses, the client is really the person you want to please, even more so then yourself. Hopefully, in this case, whatever you put down to paper will be what the Director and any and all people behind the camera and in front of it, get visually what they are looking for.



While I did get to watch Michael Weatherly work, I didn't get the chance to sketch him during the three days I spent on set. Something I hoped to be able to do, I mean how many times am I gonna be in the same room with the actor, this could be my one shot. Alas where I was set up to sketch, he wasn't, so I never got my opportunity to try.  
Hopefully if the show gets picked up, perhaps if I'm lucky enough to score the gig again, next time Micheal Weatherly will be set up where I will be able to use him as a model in one of my drawings.
So this past week I decided, to try to capture his likeness, and as it happens with certain faces, sometimes it takes more then one try, to as Tim Gunn would say "Make it work".
When I illustrated Whitney Houston in oil paint for the cover of a Tribute comic book, my first attempt on canvas, for whatever reason, just didn't feel right. And the more I attempted to right what was wrong in the art, the less it looked like the great singer. So after a week of painting, I scrapped the canvas and bought a new board to paint on. And happily this time, from the first brush stroke, the art felt right. Actually it was more of the case of not doing too much. Cause sometimes, you can actually over do it, and actually lose the essence of the person you are trying to capture. One of the tricks of the trade, is to to know when to stop and say, my job is done.
I brought that story up, because believe it or not, Michael Weatherly turned out to be someone not so easy to capture. It actually took me 3 attempts to get to the final art,
which I sketched on April 24, 2016.  It was drawn with Prismacolor pencils on 30 lb  8.5 x 12 white paper. and if you ask me I think my job is done. I look at the sketch, I see him, I'm happy.  Hopefully you're agree.


If you do, and would like to see more, please check out these links: At Red Bubble and Fine Art America you can buy my art in various formats as well as clothes:




Thanks for visiting today. Questions, comments, commissions…

Neil 



No comments: