Wednesday, January 27, 2016

MICHAEL JACKSON
BY NEIL FEIGELES

Art was sketched on Wednesday Jan 27, 2016  © Neil Feigeles  
Hand drawn with Prismacolor color pencils on 30 lb, 8 1/2 x 11 white paper.

Amazingly, this is the first time I've ever tried to capture the essence and likeness of the late great Michael Jackson. Hopefully my attempt captures a little of the energy that this great entertainer gave us for almost half a century. Considering I've always been a fan of his, & I practically have drawn everyone else, I'd say it was about time. Hopefully, better late then never.
Michael was born in August 29, 1958, and like myself, born on July 30, 1959, most of us grew up simply couldn't get enough of his music. I especially loved his early days as a member of The Jackson Five, since we were practically the same age, it was like I was almost on the stage with him. Never ever missed an episode of the Jackson Five Saturday morning cartoon. His first solo effects, including the Oscar winning song, Ben. I followed his career as he went solo, released his award winning solo albums Off The Wall. and of course Thriller… eventually becoming the biggest star in the world. Until the crazy world of show business and his years of excess and seemingly insanity, eventually ended his extraordinary life way too soon.
I decided to draw Michael, just at the brink of super stardom, still a member of The Jackson Five and still with that amazing afro.
On a personal note, growing up I honestly wanted to be Michael Jackson. Seriously, he was everything I thought was cool. He dressed cool, had the coolest friends, I mean, come on, Diana Ross! He had his own cartoon series. And the kid could sing and dance better it seemed then anyone else, even the grown up on American Bandstand and Soul Train.  
Years a go I came up with an innocent joke, about Michael Jackson, about his vitiligo, after his lightening skin condition became public fodder. Before he said goodbye. Hopefully it will be taken with the love and humor I meant it to be heard. Here goes:
When I was a kid I wanted to be Michael Jackson. Who knew that he wanted to be me, a middle aged White guy.   
Ta. Da. Not exactly funny, now that he's passed, but remember I was saying it in the context that while growing up, I was the white guy in the neighbor, and in fact the entire Public School and Junior High School I attended, I honestly wanted to be a darker shade,  I wanted to be that kid on that stage, singing and dancing, and yes, believe it or not,  I used to use a pick in my hair.  Never got it as big as his, but man I tried. RIP Michael… 

I also scanned the art in stages to showcase this was done by hand. 




Hope you like… If you do, and would like to see more, please check out the link: 
Any questions comments, suggestions… commissions… let me know… thanks, 

Neil

No comments: